As an educational psychologist, I am committed to personifying the ethos of my company in my practice; to reach out and focus on how best to relate to the children and young people I work with, before then focusing on the support that is necessary to educate them to flourish and reach their potential.
I use evidence-based approaches to inform and guide my practice and aid in my assessment and understanding of child development and psychology.
I love my work and feel incredibly privileged to be afforded the opportunity to work with children, young people and their families.
Dr Sophie Roberts
- Chartered Educational Psychologist
- HCPC, BPS and ACHiPPP Registered Practitioner Psychologist
2016 – 2019
University of Exeter
Doctorate in Educational, Child and Community Psychology
2010 – 2014
BSc (Hons) Psychology: First Class Honours
Including Diploma of Professional Studies (DPS) academic placement.
During doctoral training I worked across a range of settings including both local authority and independent practice. Since qualifying as an educational psychologist I have been working as a main grade educational psychologist for a local authority. In this role, I work with a range of settings including an early years centre, various primary, secondary and specialist schools and an education support centre.
I have experience in working with children and young people aged three to 25 with a range of needs including (but not limited to) the following:
- Communication and Interaction including:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Selective mutism (SM)
- Cognition and Learning – including cognitive assessment
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health including:
- Anxiety – including emotionally-based
- school avoidance (EBSA)
- Attachment and trauma
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Friendship issues
- Low mood
- Sensory and/or Physical Needs including:
- Physical disabilities (hearing and visual impairment)
- Sensory sensitivities arising from other needs (such as ASD)
- Support for fine/gross motor skill difficulties, including dyspraxia
In all work with children and young people, safeguarding is of paramount importance. I am fully DBS checked and registered with the online update service.
I am fully insured to practice as an independent educational psychologist and a certificate of Professional Liability Insurance can be provided upon request.
For details regarding the professional guidelines and regulations for the practice of educational psychologists, please click here for the professional regulations.